This month at our book club we talked about the book My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows. After reading it, I have to say that it is easily one of my favorite books and I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
This post contains affiliate links which if clicked on and a purchase is made I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
My Summary and Review (5 stars):
My Lady Jane is based loosely on the historical figure Lady Jane Grey, who was Queen of England for nine days due to being named successor by her first cousin once removed and current king, Edward VI, who was dying. On the ninth day, she was removed from the throne by those who wished for Edward's half-sister, Mary (also known as Bloody Mary), to be queen and charged with high treason. Ultimately, she and her husband were executed.
Not a very happy story is it? Well the authors didn't think so either, so they decided to rewrite history to their liking, while including some elements of magic. They tweaked some of the details and changed some of the timeline so that ultimately there was a happy ending.
My Lady Jane is funny and will have you laughing out loud throughout the book. It is an easy and light read that you won't be able to put down. If you like The Princess Bride, you will love My Lady Jane.
Book Club Discussion Questions:
- How does sexism come into play between the characters?
- How/where is sexism seen in the world today?
- What did you think about Edward's inner struggle? (desire to be king/not be king, Verities vs Edians, etc)
- Did you trust Gracie? Why or why not?
- Did the characters show characteristics of their animal form when they were in their human form?