Last year when I shared my pumpkin gingersnap recipe with you, I mentioned how my mom loves pumpkin any time of year. She is no respecter of seasons when it comes to pumpkin! I generally only make it in the fall, but if you happen to get a craving for this dessert in the middle of the summer, then you wouldn't be the first! *wink*
There are three steps to this recipe, but all of them are easy. Below are the ingredients you'll need to make this delicious dessert.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small bowl, measure 1 cup of the dry cake mix, 1/4 c. melted butter, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice. Mix together until combined. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix remaining cake mix, 1 egg and 1/2 c. melted butter.
Drop by large spoonfuls into the bottom of a 9x13 pan and press into an even layer. (I recommend lining it with tin foil and spraying with cooking spray.)
I rinsed out the medium bowl I used for the bottom layer and then beat together the pumpkin, salt, 2 eggs, vanilla, brown sugar, sugar, evaporated milk and milk. You can do this by hand or with a mixer, but because it is liquidy, it tends to splatter a little bit. Pour over the bottom layer.
Sprinkle the spiced mixture over the pumpkin layer using your hands. You don't want it to be fine crumbs or large chunks--somewhere in between.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before serving. We like it with whipped cream on top but vanilla ice cream is really yummy too!
So let's break this deliciousness down:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/4 c. butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. butter, melted
- 2 c. pumpkin
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. evaporated milk
- 1/2 c. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 cup dry yellow cake mix with 1/4 c. melted butter, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix remaining cake mix, 1 egg and 1/2 c. melted butter. Press into bottom of a 9x13 pan. (I recommend lining it with tin foil and spraying with cooking spray.)
- Beat together pumpkin, salt, 2 eggs, vanilla, brown sugar, sugar, evaporated milk and milk.
- Pour over pan mixture.
- Sprinkle spiced cake mix from step 2 over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 5 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream.